Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Little Blue Bathroom

I don't use much blue in my house. Not that I don't love blue, it just doesn't seem to fit. However, when it came time to redo my daughters' bathroom, my youngest daughter begged me to paint the room blue. I was leaning towards something bold, like kelly green or phone booth red, but I was overruled. We agreed on a Laura Ashley shade (Powder Blue I believe). I am pleased with the result and love the soft blue with black & white.


 
I plan on making a ceiling height shower curtain in the future. For now this monogrammed curtain works just fine.

 
 
The inspiration for the diamond pattern woodwork came from the fabulous 1983 adaptation of
The Wind in the Willows
 

 
I am obsessed with patterned floors, especially in black & white.

 
I bought the vintage medicine cabinet at a flea market when I was eighteen. It has been in this bathroom for nearly 20 years and been painted numerous colors.  

 
I finally found a home for my six black & white Spode Zoological plates.


                         The ceiling and skylight are covered in the same diamond pattern.

 
Although blue is not my first choice, it's a choice I am happy with for this little bathroom.
I still have to change the switchplates and replace the light, but I am not in a rush. My youngest moves out in two years and I will probably want to redo it anyway.
 
 
 
 
 
Joining: "Feathered Nest Friday" at French Country Cottage
"Inspiration Friday" at The Picket Fence
                                                                       

9 comments:

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Ann-Marie. I am partial to blue so I think the bathroom is very pretty. I love black and white tiles too. Many years ago when we did our master bath, I went with that theme but decided at that time that it was too much money to tile so we did vinyl instead. At a fast glance it looks good, but I certainly regret not doing tile. Now on a retiree's budget it really is too much money to change. Oh, maybe some day, if I talk loud enough!..Happy Wednesday..Judy

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Ann-Marie your daughters bathroom looks fabulous!! I love that monogramed curtain!
When we redid our oldest daughters bathroom last year she picked an apple green color, I was chringing LOL! But after it was painted and the beadboard went up I loved it.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Very pretty! Laura Ashley has such pretty shades of blue, I used one of her fabrics and matching paint in my guest bedroom years ago and I still love it.

Blondie's Journal said...

I really love how the bath turned out...the blue may not be your cup of tea but it looks perfect with the black and white floor and vanity. And wow...I LOVE that shower curtain! Do you remember where you found it?

XO,
Jane

Frances said...

If you still have the space, you might also wish to add one of those acrylic bathtubs.

Mariam said...

A diamond-shaped skylight seems nice! :] Actually, homeowners should experiment on this aspect. Just to add more of their personal touch to it. As long as it wouldn’t interfere with the skylight’s purpose, especially if you plan to add furnishings, there wouldn’t be any problem. ;]

Mariam Freame ^.^

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Your blog is enchanting and I read it from your last to first post, enjoyed every one...

Kayce Church said...

I love the fact that you have a skylight in your bathroom. It’s great because it provides the area natural light and gives it a relaxing ambiance at the same time. I also admire the patterned floors that you have. It’s kinda unusual for me to see floor designs being used in a bathroom, so I really liked it! :D

Kayce Church

Joann Winton said...

A skylight is more than just for aesthetic purposes. It paves way for natural light to come in, which helps in conserving energy. It’s always a wise decision to invest on things that you’ll surely benefit from the long run.

-Joann Winton