I know the title of this post sounds so classy. I started this project on a whim and I was actually surprised it turned out as well as it did. I needed one more bed in the house and hadn't found the perfect one yet. I decided to move the Redford House bed from my daughter's room (she didn't like it anyway) with the goal of replacing it with an upholstered wingback bed.
I had a large panel of Styrofoam insulation and an extra dropcloth in my garage.
I cut the board the width of a full/queen headboard.
I precut the dropcloth and draped it over the Styrofoam, attaching it with decorative nail heads on the front and with staples on the back.
The headboard is simply held in place by the mattress & box spring.
It gets a bit lost in the yards of canopy fabric
(my daughter despises the canopy-big surprise).
The good news is my daughter actually loves the headboard; however, she did ask when the canopy can be removed. I pretended I didn't hear her.