Sunday, February 2, 2014

Fireplace Redo

When we added on to Brambly thirteen years ago we did some "temporary" things because we didn't have the budget to do everything we wanted at once. Since then I have learned that "temporary" easily becomes "semi-permanent" as life gets busy and time passes by. The living room fireplace is an example of temporary becoming semi-permanent. We originally put in a gas fireplace because we already had a wood fireplace in the adjoining library. The gas fireplace put out a lot of heat, but we quickly realized that the propane was costing us a small fortune. We began to avoid using it and relied on our central heat to keep us mildly warm.
 
 About a year ago I began to obsess on finally finishing the fireplace. We knew we needed to find another fuel source so we could be comfortable in the room. Although I was leaning toward wood, we decided to go with a pellet stove on a thermostat so the room would be warm in the morning and when we got home in the evening.
A look at the new fireplace.
 
 
An old photo of the way the fireplace used to look. Our archaic television was in the red cabinet.

The old fireplace and mantel were removed and we had it cutout for the new flat screen.




We flanked the new fireplace with built- in bookcases.


Although I am not a huge fan of the look of pellet inserts, I am a huge fan of the affordable, convenient heat they produce. The old, slip covered wing back is my new seat of choice in the room. However, with my first grandchild on the way (yikes), I am scouring upholstery catalogs trying to find a nice looking swivel rocker. This has not been an easy task.


My husband did the herringbone brick work. I've had the rattan chair since I was eighteen and I cannot part with it.


I was determined to hide the new flat screen behind doors.


I wanted to have pictures above the fireplace. We affixed them to the cabinet doors with ultra strong construction glue.


It was important that the doors looked like they were part of the box panelling.





The silhouettes of our family were above the old fireplace and I wanted to have them over the new fireplace as well.




 
The new "permanent" fireplace makes the living room look and feel so much warmer.



 
 
 

10 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Ann Marie I love your new fireplace and LOVE that pretty toile chair too! The whole room is beautiful!

laney said...

...thank you so much for sharing...the fireplace is simply perfect...hope you find that special rocker... there is nothing sweeter than rocking a grandbaby...blessings laney

Pamela said...

What a gorgeous room! Love the fireplace and furniture!

Carol said...

So well done. Love how you hid the TV. Such a warm cozy room. I'd be sitting in that chair by the fireplace too.

Libiya jhon said...

Hey admin, good Posting. Totally Cccam Server Great blog post. You have gained a completely new reader. Pls continue this awesome work and I look forward to more of your gorgeous blog posts. Thank you very much, .

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Somehow I missed this post until today. What you did is spectacular...love the way you hid the TV, you would never know it was there and the brickwork on the fireplace and addition of the bookcases is wonderful.

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

BRILLIANT! Bravo Anne Marie!
LOVE this idea. Perfection in your charming cozy home.
xoxox
A

Chris said...

Hi Anne-Marie, I love what you have done with the fireplace and how you have hidden your tv behind the panels. just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Jaybird said...

Hi there,
I just found this post today and I am SO excited to see you posting again. Brambly has been one of my favorite blogs and I have missed you for too long!
I like your fireplace, and really love the "paneled" TV. Now....can you tell me how to convince a sweet hubster that the TV CAN be covered occasionally....nah.....I really don't think there are enough words in all of your books to convince my husband...oh well...I think I'll keep him anyway :^)
Blessings to you,
J